Pepper Crusted Fillet Steak with Leek Relish
For the Beef
- 4 x 200g (7oz) beef fillet steaks
- 2 garlic cloves sliced
- 4 tbsp Lakeshore Irish Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Rapeseed Oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorn
For the Leek and Mustard Relish
- 2-3 large leeks, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Lakeshore Irish Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Rapeseed Oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 240C/475F/Gas Mark 8
- Place the beef in a shallow dish and cover with the sliced garlic, two tablespoons rapeseed oil and a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper. Leave to marinade in the fridge while you prepare the leek and mustard relish.
- In a frying pan, gently fry the leeks in 2 tablespoons of rapeseed oil, until they are tender.
- Remove the leeks from the heat and when they are cooled, add a tablespoon of white wine vinegar and a teaspoon of whole grain mustard. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Crush the black peppercorns in a pestle and mortar and add the remaining rapeseed oil. Coat the beef with the peppercorn mixture
- Pour the rapeseed oil from the marinade into a heated frying pan and brown the meat on both sides.
- Transfer to the oven and cook for a further 7-8 minutes.
- Rest the meat for at least 5 minutes and serve with a crisp green salad, some potatoes and a dollop of leek relish.